The New Year has begun and we all are making it a healthy one. Being and staying healthy isn’t as difficult as it sounds. It all starts with one step at a time. Here are a few basics you could inculcate in your life to make this year rocking, health wise.
1) Eat healthy - Choose a healthy diet for good health. Avoid taking saturated fats, cholesterol, refined carbs, sugars, and trans fats as these foods can cause serious health conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Replace processed foods with healthy, seasonal fruits. Every meal you have, choose health over taste.
2) Keep a track on your weight – an ideal weight, apart from keeping your heart in good health has other benefits as well. Firstly, you feel good. When you feel physically fit, you’re in a better mood and can handle stress and work better. Keep a track of your BMI to keep your weight to height ratio in check.
3) Check your cholesterol – Cholesterol is a necessary evil. It is vital to intake ‘good cholesterol’ (HDL) as opposed to ‘bad cholesterol’ (LDL) and maintaining cholesterol levels as required. Fish and eggs are loaded with HDL and should be a part of your regular diet. Fried food is a silent killer and must be avoided.
4) Measure your blood pressure – Keep monitoring your BP regularly to help your heart stay healthy. High blood pressure can be caused due to stress. The more you stress the more chances of high blood pressure. Similarly, low blood pressure can also lead to health problems. The best way to keep your blood pressure in check is to control sodium intake and regularly engage in exercising or some form of physical activity.
5) Stay active - Performing 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day is essential to stay healthy throughout the year. It not only helps you keep physically fit but also relaxes your mind. People who stay active are better able to manage their work and life.
6) Maintain your blood sugar levels – Cut down on added sugars like soda, candy, and sugary desserts to maintain your blood sugar levels. Excess sugary foods also put you at risk of diabetes, which in turn can damage your heart, kidneys, eyes, and nerves over time. Whether or not you have a sweet tooth, keep a check on your blood sugar levels with regular health checks.
7) Get enough sleep – Good sleep restores your immune system, helps prevent diseases and makes you feel and perform better. Stress and diet also have an impact on sleep. So, make sure you sleep well to feel well while maintaining a healthy diet.
8) Reduce stress – Too much stress takes a toll on your physical and mental condition. It is best to maintain a healthy work-life balance by taking out time for recreation and personal life. When the going gets tough, give yourself a break. This will help you focus on the important things that will contribute towards your wellbeing.
9) Get vaccinated – Prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, get frequent vaccinations to prevent infectious diseases. Good health is the only way to enjoy your life.
10) Get regular health screenings – Regular health screening can save your life as it can help in early diagnosis of many illnesses. If you detect the problem before it starts showing any symptoms or in the initial stage, the treatment and cure will be easier.
This new year, let’s begin our journey towards health. Here is to health and the New Year. Cheers!