Second Trimester - Pregnancy
09 May, 2017
A pregnancy needs monitoring by either Family physician or Obstetrician (doctor who specialises in pregnancy and childbirth.), who will see you through the nine months.
Testing for pregnancy
A simple blood or urine test can determine whether you are pregnant. The tests detects a hormone called HcG, which the body produces when a fertilized egg attaches to the wall of the uterus.
Home pregnancy tests available in the market are also quite reliable.
Symptoms of pregnancy
- Missed period
- Tender, swollen breasts
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Increased urination
- Food cravings
- Mood Swings
Second trimester - 13 to 28 weeks.
What to expect in the Second Trimester
- The nausea and morning sickness may go away. Consult your Gynae if you have excessive morning sickness and are throwing up too often.
- You will sleep better and feel more energetic.
What should you do?
Meditation and deep breathing exercises
Your baby’s growth in the 2nd Trimester
- At the beginning of the 2nd trimester, your baby is the size of a large plum.
- He weighs about half an ounce and is about 2 ½ inches in length.
- His digestive system has started working.
- At 12 weeks, you can hear his heartbeat.
- By the end of 28 weeks, he is fully developed and weighs about 1 kg, and is almost 16 inches long.
- Starts getting into the birthing position, with head downward.
CONSULT A GYNAECOLOGIST