Are you abstaining yourself from the little joys of life? Not anymore, as you can now relish what you want with dental implants!
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a metal post, placed surgically in the jawbone, that replaces the root portion of a missing tooth. An artificial tooth as the crown part is placed on an extension of the post as an abutment on the dental implant. The implant gives a person the look and the feel of a real tooth.
The dental implants are a better option than the fixed bridgework or dentures as these implants won’t slip, make noise, or cause any damage to the bone. Also, the material used for dental implants (most of the time it is Titanium) can’t decay like your own teeth supporting bridgework can.
Types of Dental Implant
Considering the various advantages and with the growing demand for the implants, lots of clinics are providing dental implants, including the HCL Healthcare clinics. Let’s have a look at the different types of dental implants.
- Subperiosteal dental implants: This type of dental implants is placed under the gum but on or above the jawbone. These implants are specifically used for the patients who have a shallow jawbone.
Endosteal dental implants: These are typically small screw, cylinder or plate shaped implants and are placed in the jawbone.
The dental implants clinics can provide you with different choices of dental implants to satiate your individual requirements. You can get them in different sizes and heights (including standard and narrow types). Your dental implant expert can help you determine the right kind of dental implant for you, depending on the tooth or teeth that need to be replaced.
Advantages of Dental Implants
The dental implant acts as a perfect replacement for your missing tooth or tooth roots. In order to form a fully functional replacement tooth, the dental implant is topped by a dental restoration such as a crown, a bridge or a denture.
Dental implants are the most durable and long-lasting form of dental replacements and recommended for all having a dental issue. Amongst the innumerable benefits of dental implants, let’s have a look at some of the important ones:
- These replacements have nearly the full chewing power of natural teeth.
- The implants reduce the load on the remaining oral structures by offering independent support to the adjoining parts.
- As compared to the conventional bridgework implants, the dental implants don’t need any cutting of the adjacent teeth and thus help preserve the natural tooth tissue.
- Dental implants significantly reduce bone resorption and deterioration and thus prevent the loss of jawbone height.
- Dental implants are also effective in reducing the need for subsequent restorative interventions of the adjoining teeth.
- Dental implants can be used to replace either a single tooth or all missing teeth in a jawline.
- They also help in supporting a removable or fixed denture. The number of dental implants needed for a given patient depends on the final restoration and the amount of bone density available for the procedure.